Presentation Hall has a rich history and an exciting future. Built in 1939 as a gift to the city by the Mayo brothers, Drs. Charlie and Will, Presentation Hall was Rochester’s cultural hub for decades. It continues to serve as a charmingly intimate, elegant venue for concerts, entertainment acts, and other events, accommodating audiences of 500 to 1,100.
A Proud Heritage. The Mayo brothers paid $250,000 for the construction of Presentation Hall, and donated the land upon which it was built. The building, originally called Mayo Civic Auditorium, was designed by Ellerbe Architects, which also designed two other Rochester landmarks, Mayo Clinic’s Plummer Building and the Historic Chateau Theatre.
The dedication for the building was held on March 8, 1939. Two days later, attendees paid no more than $2.20—which wouldn’t even buy you a gallon of milk today! -- for a ticket to the auditorium’s first event, a concert by violinist Orlando Barrera.
An Attractive Future. In 2017, Presentation Hall will undergo $2.5 million in upgrades as part of Mayo Civic Center’s $84 million expansion project. The renovations to Presentation Hall will preserve the hall’s historic appeal while enhancing its sound quality and lighting to better serve performing arts groups, entertainers, speakers, and audiences.
Upgrades to Presentation Hall will include:
- Reconstruction of the ceiling to improve acoustics
- Remodeled foyer near the entrance of Presentation Hall
- New orchestra shell and stage curtains
- New control booth, video projection and sound system
- New stage lighting and dimmer control systems
- A noise isolation wall to prevent sound interference from activities held in other parts of the Mayo Civic Center
- Two new locker rooms and three new dressing rooms, as well as remodeling of existing dressing rooms
(L x W)
|Ceiling Height||Banquet Rounds of 10||Banquet Rounds of 8||Classroom||Theater||Exhibit Booths|
|8,970||78’ x 115’||20’||N/A||N/A||N/A||1,113||N/A|
|Floor / Floor Load:||Stage: Wood Unlimited|
|House Sound System:||Distributed with Center Cluster|
|Lighting:||HID, Dimmable Incandescent|
|Service Doors:||Door: 9’W x 8’ H|
|Show Power:||120-208V 400 amp 3 phase; 120-208V 600 amp 3 phase|
|Permanent: 57’W x 27’D|
|Proscenium: 37’9”W x 22’H|
|Grid Height: 50’|